Interesting event: A few days ago the entire side of Table Mountain that faces my house was on fire. It was crazy (and now I finally have a camera-- yay!) and I can now document it. Apparently it was just a large forest fire and there were fire trucks up the side of the mountain for about 26 hours until it was all put out. The view at night outside of my window was insane-- the mountain was literally up in flames. They had multiple helicopters dumping chemical water on the fire, and they picked up the water from right near campus where they would fly and dump the barrels on the flames. Interestingly, on my way to class I was sufficiently showered with chemical water as one of the choppers flew above me. At first I appreciated the cooling off, but then quickly panicked when I realized it was chemical water and started furiously searching for hives and boils on my skin. Luckily, none have arisen yet.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Mountain on Fire
Interesting event: A few days ago the entire side of Table Mountain that faces my house was on fire. It was crazy (and now I finally have a camera-- yay!) and I can now document it. Apparently it was just a large forest fire and there were fire trucks up the side of the mountain for about 26 hours until it was all put out. The view at night outside of my window was insane-- the mountain was literally up in flames. They had multiple helicopters dumping chemical water on the fire, and they picked up the water from right near campus where they would fly and dump the barrels on the flames. Interestingly, on my way to class I was sufficiently showered with chemical water as one of the choppers flew above me. At first I appreciated the cooling off, but then quickly panicked when I realized it was chemical water and started furiously searching for hives and boils on my skin. Luckily, none have arisen yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment