Monday, February 2, 2009

Jambo!

So, after 3 plane rides, 24+ hours of traveling and lugging my large, overpacked suitcases from place to place... I'm here! I've been here for about a week (seems longer) and so far it is fabulous.  I had my wonderful mother here with me until yesterday when she left to work up in Pretoria. It was great having her here (she prevented many anxiety attacks). I stayed in a hotel for the first three nights, doing redundant orientation stuff, then I moved into our house.  I have three friends from school here with me which helps a lot with the culture shock.  One of them, Katrina (a.k.a. "Chee"), is my roomate in our HUGE double room in our house.  The house is really cute-- very simple-- and we have our own bathroom! (BIG plus) Chee and I's room looked a little grim until today-- I put up some pictures and unpacked most of my things.  Its the first day we don't have every single hour planned out for us.  We have some sort of entrance exam we have to take up at the university (a 10 minute walk) later today.  We went on a city tour yesterday and went all the way to the Cape of Good Hope (the southernmost place in the world... or something like that) and saw penguins on the beach and baboons. It was amazing. 
Let's see... nothing else very major to update on, I had my first cultural experience last night when I was out at a club and I got my phone AND camera stolen out of my bag.  Another girl in our house got her wallet stolen, and one of my guy friends from Bucknell who is here with another program got his phone stolen as well. So, no pictures for now! 
I promise I'll try and write more in detail when I have the time next week. Our classes dont start until Feb. 16th and we have orientation at UCT until the 6th... then 10 days of freedom! Beaching everyday, without a doubt. 
Hope everyone is doing well!
From the beautiful (and windy) city of Cape Town,
Linds

3 comments:

  1. Lindsy, If this works it is my first comment on a blog. Alan helped me out on Sunday evening when we hosted the family SuperBowl bash highlighting our new high definition TV. Ever since we visited you over Thanksgiving Tom has been very eager to update our TV so it has happened.

    You are living quite a dream life of having the opportunity to study in different cultures. What a wonderful opportunity. Your mom has led the way with her life of travel. It will be lots of fun to hear what you are doing, seeing and feeling.

    Love,
    Aunt Mary Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I love hearing about the happenings in your new part of the world, Lindsy (sorry to hear about the stolen goods...glad you still have your spirits and humor intact!)and how fun to have my mom here in blog world, too! Seems we both have "wonderful moms." Must be where we get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All right! Another family blogger. I'm excited to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete